 General / 39383
  Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Hi, all. Someone e-mailed me today to bring my attention to a website that is "ripping off material" from The Brick Testament: (URL) to say, the phrasing of the e-mail was a little disconcerting, so I followed the link. The site is in Danish, so I (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Oops! Posted a broken link! Here's a fixed one for the comparison: (URL) Smith (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Hi Brendan, The site belongs to www.church.dk which is a common site for the Danish Peoples Church. The Subdomain "ung-jul" is a section for kids (translates to young-christmas). The story line _is_ frightening similar. However, are there many (...) (22 years ago, 15-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Brendan, You mean you didn't copyright your story? Hmm, next thing the Gideons will put it down in little leather books and start leaving it in hotel rooms. :) I'd agree with Carsten. Send them an e-mail asking them if they would make a link to your (...) (22 years ago, 16-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Carsten Straaberg skrev: (...) This is certainly not my impression. The domain is owned by a private individual, whereas for example "www.km.dk", "www.sogn.dk" and "www.provsti.dk" are administrated by the The Ministry of Ecclesiastical Affairs (...) (22 years ago, 16-Nov-02, to lugnet.loc.dk, lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

(...) It is a tricky issue, in that you're right, I don't have any copyright over the text of the Bible. But then again, it would still be alarming if the Gideons start leaving LEGO-illustrated Bibles in hotel rooms AND their editing of Bible (...) (22 years ago, 16-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

I'd like to thank everyone who has replied, offering translation help, as well as their thoughts on this matter: Sonnich Jensen (who replied by e-mail), Carsten, Jacob, and Bruce. I plan to send the website an e-mail expressing my concern, and (...) (22 years ago, 16-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Danish Translation: Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Hi Brendan, I would expect most Danes to at least *read* and understand English, but anyway, here is a paragraph-by-paragraph translation: Greetings. *Vær hilset. Part of your website has recently been brought to my attention due to its striking (...) (22 years ago, 16-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Translation: Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Carsten, Thank you very much for taking the time to translate this for me. I have sent them an e-mail in both English and Danish. I will post here if there is a response (particularly if it's in Danish!). Regards, -Rev. Smith (22 years ago, 17-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

(...) It would, of course. I was mainly just being sarcastic. (...) Here I would actually disagree. I've been to a large number (let's say about 33, because this comes up every Christmas) of church plays put on by the Sunday school kids, at (...) (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

(...) If this is the case, or if it's intended for children, they may not be able to credit your site. You've done a great job on the sets and I'm quite impressed with the effort you've made to be true to the Bible as you understand it, but your (...) (22 years ago, 19-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

Here's an update :-) They have added this paragraph: Til almindelig orientering så er det tilsyneladende en hobby for mange, at lave forskellige LEGO kreationer, fotografere dem og så gøre dem tilgængelige på Internettet. Hvis du er interesseret i (...) (22 years ago, 20-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

(...) Your point is well taken. There probably are not all that many different orders in which to harmonize the events of the birth narratives. I would have to read Danish or have a good English translation of their site to see if their website was (...) (22 years ago, 23-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

(...) Hi, Carsten. Thanks for the update! And the translation! While this isn't quite the admission of their basing all their illustrations on mine that I would have preferred, I'm guessing this is probably the best I'm going to get. I do like their (...) (22 years ago, 23-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

A small update: Today, there is an article in the Danish newspaper 'Berlingske Tidende' about the 'Danish version' of the Brick Testament (in Danish only): (URL) Brick Testament is also mentioned. The article is about the 11 year old boy Glenn (...) (22 years ago, 18-Dec-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)

  Re: Danish Brick Testament-esque nativity story

(...) Thanks so much for posting about this and for translating the section that mentions The Brick Testament. -The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith (22 years ago, 19-Dec-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build.ancient, lugnet.loc.dk)