 General / 39349
39348  |  39350
Subject:
LEGO® Company and Nike Launch BIONICLE™ Shoe Partnership
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:37:20 GMT

From: prnewswire.com

LEGO® Company and Nike Launch BIONICLE(TM) Shoe Partnership.
Innovative Children's Athletic Footwear Based on Best-Selling Action Heroes.

To Hit the Streets This Holiday Season

ENFIELD, Conn.,- The LEGO Company and Nike, Inc. today announce a
partnership to promote activity in children with the introduction of
footwear inspired by LEGO Company's popular BIONICLE™ Toa Nuva heroes.  The
global strategic alliance pairs the fun and excitement of the BIONICLE
franchise with the innovation and sports heritage of Nike to create a unique
approach to children's athletic footwear.

(Photo:  http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990818/NIKELOGO )

The shoes will be available first in the United States and Canada this
November, and will launch globally in 2003.

The special-edition 'BIONICLE by Nike' shoes are designed for imaginative
play inspired by the legendary Toa Nuva heroes.  The shoes come with
removable Toa Nuva masks that cover the toe-box.  Additional masks can be
purchased separately, so children can collect and change the masks for a
single pair of shoes and "wear the power" of their favorite Toa Nuva hero.

"Children around the world have embraced the rich storytelling component of
the BIONICLE line," says Henrik Poulsen, senior vice president, global
innovation and marketing for LEGO Company.  "In partnering with Nike, we're
able to turn the innovative and collectible BIONICLE play pattern into an
active lifestyle choice for kids.  The excitement and creativity of the
BIONICLE saga now can go with them and be a part of their daily activities."

For Nike, the partnership with LEGO Company is an excellent fit for its
recently announced NikeGO initiative, which encourages greater physical
activity for children.

"The BIONICLE partnership is perfectly tailored to fulfill Nike's mission to
motivate children to be active," says Deborah Hilleren, Nike's children's
footwear director. "We believe children can be inspired by both real and
imaginative heroes, and it is important to look at the world through their
eyes.  We are excited to combine our ability to innovate children's footwear
with the ability LEGO has to capture their imaginations through rich and
creative story telling."

BIONICLE by Nike shoes will be available in children's whole sizes 12C to
6Y, and will have a suggested retail price of $50 USD/$70 CAD.  The shoes
are sold with Tahu Nuva's red mask covering the toe-box.  Five other
collectible Toa Nuva accessory masks for the shoe's toe-box have a suggested
retail price of $9.95 USD/$12 CAD a pair.  LEGO Company and Nike will
continue to collaborate on creative approaches to children's athletic
footwear based on BIONICLE and other LEGO® properties.

The shoes will be available at retail outlets including:  Niketown,
Niketown.com, LEGO Brand Retail Stores, LEGO.com, FAO Schwarz, as well as
select Dillards, Nordstrom, Journey's Kidz, and JCPenney.

First launched in 2001, BIONICLE is a line of quick-build collectible LEGO
action heroes for children seven and older.  Recognized as the "Most
Innovative Toy of the Year" in 2001 by the Toy Industry Association,
BIONICLE continues to engage children with new stories, new heroes -- the
Toa Nuva -- and new ways to experience the BIONICLE universe.  The BIONICLE
legend is set to make its movie debut next in a Miramax direct-to-video
release titled "BIONICLE: The Mask of Light."  A Miramax BIONICLE feature
film is slated for 2004.

Based in Billund, Denmark, the LEGO Company, family-owned and privately-held
since its founding in 1932, is a world leader in providing quality products
and experiences that stimulate children's creativity, imagination and
learning through playful activities that encourage hands-on, minds-on
creation, fun, togetherness and sharing of ideas.  Company employees are
guided by the motto adopted in the 1930s by founder Ole Kirk Christiansen:
"Only the best is good enough."  For more information, visit www.LEGO.com.

NIKE, Inc., based in Beaverton, Oregon, is the world's leading designer and
marketer of authentic athletic footwear, apparel, equipment and accessories
for a wide variety of sports and fitness activities. Wholly owned Nike
subsidiaries include Bauer NIKE Hockey Inc., the world's leading
manufacturer of hockey equipment; Cole Haan®, which markets a line of
high-quality men's and women's footwear, accessories and outerwear, and
Hurley International LLC, which markets action sports and teen lifestyle
apparel.

To encourage and enable kids to lead health, active lives, Nike has
introduced NikeGO, a grassroots community affairs program with a mission to
increase physical activity in youth.  It offers thousands of children the
motivation to discover the joy of movement and physical activity.  For
NikeGO information, visit www.nikego.com.

NOTE:  LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of The LEGO Group.

SOURCE  Nike, Inc.
CO:  Nike, Inc.; LEGO Company
ST:  Connecticut, Oregon, Denmark
SU:  JVN PDT CHI