 General / 39214
  how very odd

This confused me the other day. What is LEGO's policy on new parts. I have seen people comment on how old parts cannot be reintroduced as the cost of replication is too high. Why was this part ever produced. take a look at the corner dark grey piece (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Hey James, You are right this is confusing. There is no reason to use that piece if you are going to cover up the window, other than piece availibility (sp?). And the Lego company doesn't have to worry about that! One other small issue could be (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Hello! (...) Indeed. (...) This piece AFAIK is used just in 6097 and 9376 (Dacta Castle Set) (...) Back in the 70ies TLC used to produce parts for sets that were never used again besides these sets. For example look at the red arch in this set: (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Hello Jojo, Thanks for the information. I hadn't realized that they had done that so much. The odd thing about this castle piece is that the way they use it in 6097 is kind of pointless and 9376 is really just a castle parts lot meant for educators (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

(...) Sebulba, (URL) Kaadus, Princess Leia's hair---each from one 2000 sets, and they haven't been used again yet. 'Tis strange, since the molds apparently cost so much. . . -- TWS Garrison (URL) capital letters in address for direct reply. (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Lego always makes new parts. They have to balance the cost of creating a new part with the eventual use of that part. In normal production sets, new parts can be used often, and the creation costs recovered. The Star Wars line has lots of new parts (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

(...) My honest opinion is that these are bad examples. These are all Star Wars parts and almost had to have been made because of the license (I know Lando and Mace should be done as well but that is another issue entirely). As for you examples I (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  not *that* odd (was Re: how very odd)

(...) Don't we have an even more recent example of this occurring in the Knight's Kingdom, #6098 King Leo's Castle? I refer to this element: (URL) the different set numbers refer to the same set -- so basically, it has appeared in only one set so (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

(...) How about the conveyor from the Gravel Pit set (360_1)... that set of several parts (body, 2 spindles, stand, lower stand, spill way, crank, rubber belt) was used in very few other sets (I cannot find where it was used in yellow but am sure it (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: not *that* odd (was Re: how very odd)

richard marchetti" <blueofnoon@aol.com> wrote in message news:H52Hr6.tJ@lugnet.com... (...) in (...) Knight's (...) you (...) True, but hateful though it is it serves a purpose that cannot be done without modified bricks. You can't get a portcullis (...) (22 years ago, 4-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Hey everybody, When I first saw that odd part (I don't have that castle but when I browsed for it's instructions on Brickshelf) I did too wondered how come they made this new Castle wall or at least why the window there is hidden. Thinking of it now (...) (22 years ago, 5-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H52L9s.Azt@lugnet.com... (...) on. (...) That parts was used in another set too. (URL) (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

(...) (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Larry Pieniazek <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message news:H5828K.4Kp@lugnet.com... (...) was (...) I have the instructions for that set somewhere.... If I just knew where... S (22 years ago, 7-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

Honestly, with the cost of making new molds being so high, and Megablocks really beating LEGO on the price/parts ratio, I don't see why they would spend the money on making new molds of things than can already be made by combining a few existing (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)

  Re: how very odd

(...) I can't help myself. Since none of us will ever know what the business justification is for making molds vs. reusing existing pieces, it's all wild and idle speculation. But, here are my guesses, worth far less than a 2x4 brick. - There's more (...) (22 years ago, 8-Nov-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.castle)