 General / 39174
Re: LEGO NBA Draft has started...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build.minifigs, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 00:48:43 GMT

Does anyone know how many NBA figures TLC is planning on releasing?  I
wonder if they have to get permission from the players's agents before
making a figure of them?  Who are your predictions?  What sort of sets do
you think we'll see?

I'm pretty excited to see what they will do with this.  I'll admit, I don't
avidly follow the NBA, but I think this is a cool idea with some great
potential.  I think my biggest question, though, is what they are going to
do about teams and courts.  For example, they couldn't make the entire MN
Timberwolves team, or the entire Blazers team.  So are they going to do an
all-star team, or a bunch of shrunk teams?  If they do shrunk teams, it
would be a great thing to box up and market.  Plus, it would be sold at
every pro-shop everywhere.

So what's people's insights?

KEith

From: "Scott Costello" <scottcos@spamfree.yahoo.com>
To: lugnet.general@lugnet.com, lugnet.build.minifigs@lugnet.com,
lugnet.starwars@lugnet.com
Subject: Re: LEGO NBA Draft has started...
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 00:55:35 GMT

Very interestingly, they have two colors here.  I'll have to display my
basketball ignorance here, but I don't know the players Kukoc and Kidd.
Does the tan head indicate an African-American with a lighter complexion, • or
is this a new solution for Caucasian skin.  Either way, I look forward to
making my Lego world more diverse.

Don't feel bad about not knowing Toni Kukoc, he was a pretty good role
player with the Chicago Bulls during the Jordan era, but has done little
else of note since then. He is from Croatia, so naturally he is white. Kobe
Bryant is black, (before anyone starts any kind of flame I follow Thomas
Jefferson's belief that there are no "-americans", you are either African
or
American, but I digress) and I wish they would have included his old school
huge afro he wore a couple of years ago. Finally Jason Kidd is black, but
you would hardly know it by looking at him, he has a very light complexion,
and is married to a white woman with a very white looking child.

I actually like the way TLC skirted the color issue, making these figures
in
the exact likeness of the players rather than dark brown vs. yellow. My
question is why, other than complexion would you pick these three? Bryant
and Kidd are definitely deserving of the #1 group, but Kukoc, whose best
year was four years ago. I just don’t understand. I know that the NBA is
almost 80% black, and of the top players there are few whites but there are
better choices, John Stockton, Dirk Nowitzky, Predrag Stojakovic, rookie
Mike Dunleavy Jr., just to name a few. We will see how this list of
athletes
fills out as January approaches. Personally I am most looking forward to a
Shawn Bradley figure, no he is not all that good but come on the guy is
7-6,
you gotta make him in creator scale to keep the dimensions correct.

Scott

Get faster connections -- switch to MSN Internet Access!