 General / 38764
38763  |  38765
Subject:
LEGO donates 15 life-sized models to CT Children's Med Ctr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 15:49:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

You can visit the link here; (With a few Pictures)

http://www.ccmckids.org/News/Lego.htm

or the article;

Imagine life-sized models of UConn basketball coaches Jim Calhoun and Geno
Auriemma, made entirely out of LEGO bricks, and you get the idea of the
latest fundraiser to benefit Connecticut Children's Medical Center.

The Auriemma and Calhoun LEGO models will be part of an exhibit of 15
figures in the LEGO Walk of Fame that will be displayed along Hartford's
Riverfront Plaza throughout the Fall beginning September 5th. Later the
models will be auctioned off to raise funds to construct a LEGO play area in
Primary Care at CCMC.

LEGO employees are planning to construct the new play area in early 2003.

Modelmakers from the Enfield-based LEGO Company have been working for the
past six months to construct the figures that will also include such local
notables as Mark Twain.

"Through our unique ability to create eye-catching models, we hope to
inspire the generosity of alternative art collectors and in turn, provide a
top notch waiting area for Connecticut Children's Medical Center, said
Andrew Black, LEGO's president. "All children deserve to lead healthy,
active lives filled with imagination, creativity and fun and this is our way
of communicating those core values."

Larry Gold, President and CEO of Connecticut Children's Medical Center,
marveled at the skill and creativity of the LEGO project. "We are honored to
be the first charity LEGO has selected for this unique fundraising endeavor.
It might be a model for other children's hospitals throughout the country."

The LEGO Walk of Fame is sponsored by: the Connecticut Department of
Tourism, the Connecticut Development Authority, the Hartford Civic Center,
Riverfront Recapture, The Hartford Courant, Elkinson & Sloves, Infinity
Broadcasting and the Connecticut Radio Network.

LEGO, which means "play well" is a privately held firm based in Denmark.
LEGO employs nearly 1,300 people in the Americas, nearly three quarters of
the staff work at the LEGO Systems Inc. headquarters in Enfield.

Dan Moquin