 General / 38542
Re: New Poll!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 20:13:52 GMT

"Sean Devolites" <hotshot3396@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:H2Jvz9.nB@lugnet.com...
P.S.  Reply to this if your also mad at me for saying "wasssssssup"
all the time.  I need to know and be totally honest.

(borrowing from Sean)
Wassssssup, Sean (and others)!

I think you should feel free to say "Wasssssssssssup!"

Personally, I think that you only need to use a greeting in a post if you
are starting a new post (ie "Hello everyone") or if you are addressing
specifically the writer of the previous post (ie "Hello, Sean").  I think
any other greetings look out of place.  I also think that closings only look
good when you are announcing something (ie "LMKWYT, Thanks, David") or
requesting information (ie "Thanks in advance for the info, David").  Other
closings might look strange.  Signature lines never bother me as long as
they are distinguishable from the rest of the post.  It lets the reader know
who you are.

When I read these posts, I see them as a type of conversation, and nobody in
their right mind would say "Hello" before every comment that they made, and
"Goodbye" afterwards:

Jill:  "Wassssup, Jack, how are you doing today? Hasta la Vista!"

Jack:  "Hello, Just fine, Jill, and you? Bye-Bye!"

Jill:  "Howdy, I'm doing pretty good!  Any new Lego creations lately?
Later!"

Jack:  "Greetings, Yeah I just finished project X!  How is creation Y
coming?  Regards!"

Jill:  "Hi, It's coming along great!  Later, Jill"

Obviously, this is exageratted, but hopefully you see my meaning.  The first
greeting is OK (ie the initial post), but each one following it seems kind
of strange.  Also the closings seem very out of place.

This is just my opinion!  Feel free to express yourself and or respond to my
opinions!

-David