 General / 37583
37582  |  37584
Subject:
BrickPage - Software for making simple LEGO creation webpages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish.html
Date:
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 00:13:32 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

When I want to display a LEGO model, I use pages similar to the following:

My fire engine:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/station71/engine71.htm

and my more recent Mining Outpost:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/outpost/outpost.htm

You might notice that both pages are simple, no-frills postings that include
the pics, captions and an overall description of the project.

Even though they're pretty simple to put together, I wanted something that
would make the process even easier.  So I wrote a program called
'BrickPage'.  It's a wizard driven application that creates pages similar to
those noted above. I figured that some other folks might find it useful as
well, so I've posted it for you to download and try:

http://www.apotome.com/software/brickpage.html

Actually that's a link to the User's Guide, but you'll find download links
there.  It's freeware, so don't be shy... give it a try.  :)

A couple things the program does:

1)  Makes a bare bones web page with a minimum effort from the user
2)  Copies all the related photos into the same directory as the page file
itself
3)  Comes as a .zip file or self-extracting executable

A couple things the program does NOT do:

1)  Write anything to the registry
2)  Upload your page to the web (FTP functionality is not there yet, but I
hope to have it in the next release)
3)  Create a pretty page.  This is basic-country-basic HTML.  It might get
fancier in future releases
4)  Add links to other pages (coming in next release I hope)

While this little app could really be used to create a webpage with any
theme, I've tried to gear it toward LEGO creations such as in the links
shown above.  This may be useful to those of you who want to post a large
creation and give lots of background data on each photo.  Or perhaps want to
create some sort of instruction page for building a LEGO model.  Or.... who
knows?  You may find it useful.... or useless.  But if you want to give it a
try, it's there for the taking.

Remember that you'll need to have/find space on a server somewhere.  But if
you're paying for internet access, chances are you've already got 5 or 10
meg (or more) sitting there waiting for you to use.  If you're not sure how
to access it, contact your ISP for some help.  I mention this because once
the program has made your page, you just need to upload the .htm file along
with the image files.  This isn't as hard as it may seem.  Check your ISP's
site for help files.

Please note:
This is BETA code at best.  It's been tested as best I can, but I'm sure
I've missed something.  Please feel free to write me with any bugs.

All the best,
Allan B.

- Expert Builder website
- http://www.apotome.com/builder