 General / 3722
3721  |  3723
Subject:
Comparisons of purples
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 Apr 1999 21:26:11 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, rodriguez.136@osu.edu (Jorge Rodriguez) writes:
There's a post describing the sub on rtl by a person who was able to
buy it. It is blue there are othr details as well.

That's a real bummer!  :-(  This year's new blue-purple color is really
something beautiful.  Well, it would have been too good to be true.

Anyway, these photos we just took are moot with respect to the Gungan Sub,
but the issue of different purples is still fun to ponder...

Have a look here:

   http://www.fibblesnork.com/lego/temporary/purples/

This is a limited edition playtable which TLG released last year and which
appeared briefly at Wal*Mart stores.  It's very difficult to capture the
exact tones photographically, so we put a bunch of other actual ABS elements
in for comparison.  You can see the CyberSlam magenta/purple just below
classic LEGO blue, and note that it's quite different from the blue-
purple/violet on the playtable.  The playtable color is also a bit bluer and
lighter than the dark purple tubs that came with the limited edition 1853
Hypno Cruiser.

Looking closely at a 1999 German catalog, the purple-blue on the playtable
matches (so near as we can figure) the color of the 1999 Belville
princess...

   http://www.lego.com/catalog/eur/productzoom.asp?number=5802

...and the "fleshy dough-blob kids"...

   http://www.lego.com/catalog/eur/productzoom.asp?number=2830
   http://www.lego.com/catalog/eur/productzoom.asp?number=2831
   http://www.lego.com/catalog/eur/productzoom.asp?number=2832
   http://www.lego.com/catalog/eur/productzoom.asp?number=2833
   http://www.lego.com/catalog/eur/productzoom.asp?number=2834

...but the photos online don't show the color subtleties quite as well as
the printed catalogs.

It's fun to hope that someday TLG might release the purple-blue playtable
color in real elements!  Has anyone seen the '99 Belville or Little Forest
Friends sets IRL yet?

--Todd & Suz

[followups set to lugnet.general]