 General / 3668
Re: lights
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:52:01 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tom McDonald writes:

I have used 9V lighting. The math given sounds good. Adhere to it.

If you're not math oriented like me, I've found that if you use 5 ordinary • LEDs
connected in series with each other using 9VDC they work fine. If you use LEDs
that soak up more current than your average LED, often because they're bigger
and brighter, you can use fewer LEDs. I tried to use all lego for custom
lighting on my train station platform but alas had to use 8 gauge copper wire
for pole strength and conductivity along with insulated 30 ga. I used • pneumatic
tubing for the outside of the pole, and clear 1x1's fit right over my LEDs :)

I've also used light bulbs. MagLite flashlight bulbs work great as they're • very
bright for their size.

If you need to know more, I'll post more.

-Tom McD.

Thanks for the responses.

I bought some bulbs and leds from radio shack last night and hooked them up.
The led was a little dim.  I guess I'll use a combination of leds and bulbs.
Onfortunately, the cheapest bulbs I found were 2 for $2.

I think I'll try and put in stoplights and street lights first.

Thanks again,

Jimmy