 General / 3629
Re: LEGO Creator Protection Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1999 20:58:45 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote:

My wife bought a copy of LEGO Creator for my son and I to play with.  I seem
to recall a series of posts discussing the protection mechanism that Creator
employs but my quick scan of LUGNET news did not turn anything up.

Is there anyway to get around the requirement that the CD has to be in the
drive?

Nope.  The install/instructions seem to imply that by installing the
entire thing onto your drive, you don't need the disc any longer, but
it is always required.

I tried using Virtual CD to create an image of the CD that could be mounted
but Virtual CD will not create an image of the Creator CD.

That's one of the steps I'd tried too (it's compatible with my 12-20
NEC CD-ROM drive, I had to borrow a 3x NEC from work just to create
the image), but the disc is "copy protected," using an usually written
track or somesuch.

I don't believe
that by creating an image I am violating the licensing of Creator since I am
not distributing it but instead using it to work around the limitations of
my system.

You wouldn't be.  Shrinkwrap license text (of questionable legality)
to the contrary, as long as it wasn't possible to be using the program
on more than one machine at once, it's in your rights to do this.

Anyone got any ideas?

Other than not buying any software that carries should irritating
usage restrictions, I've got none.  Eventually, I gave up trying to
get ahold of a low-speed drive cheap (or even for free) just to run
this one application.  I wasn't terribly impressed even once I had it
running.

<sigh>

-- joshua