 General / 36229
36228  |  36230
Subject:
what happened to 5216 roof tile set???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:08:33 GMT

Was this a bunch of service packs found in a warehouse somewhere that
LEGO found and wanted to sell them off fast.  Because I find this extremely
irrating to see that they are no longer available (at least they aren't
listed in the shop@home site).

Personally, I don't like this reasoning of not offering service packs because
they didn't sell well in European stores/they were sold for HTO purposes
only...

Think about the marketing ramifications of using Shop@Home.  There would be
a market especially for the higher demanded packs like the town accessories
lot: garage door packs (in various colors), various additional roof tiles,
maybe some harbor dock "base plates"....

and then you want to look at other themes.  Micromotors, different sized
wires, maybe some bulk standard technic pieces (1 by X bricks with the holes
in it in various colors), Shop @ Home could be vastly improved,

and we hear the same LEGO Company Line.... "we are looking into expanding
this....etc. etc"

(I am not complaining at some of the "exclusive" stuff they put out, its
been a enthusiasts dream, but to me it their marketing strategy doesn't
line up with their overall business strategy - "we want to be the household
name toy brand by 2005".)

I just want to finish my post/rant/complaint/etc with this:

I see the (Shop@Home) catalogues, and 80% of it is generally advertizing
its main themes (personally I don't see a lot of demand for the
retail sets, unless you live in a secluded part of the country/world or
your local toy or department store don't sell the particular set you
are looking for), with the remaining pages dedicated to its exclusive
stuff, the bulk section, and some of the stuff no longer available in the
stores like the Freight N Crane Railway, etc.

Having the bulk section only use 2 pages of the catalogue, and say the
Galidor sets take up 4 pages (in the newest catalogue) by itself, or
the other catalogues in recent memory (HP, Aquateam, Jack Stone???, on and
on)

Focus more on what people really want, and then the brand recogntion will
return (and then there might even be a chance that LEGO will become the
number 1 toy company in the world......)

Benjamin Medinets