 General / 35967
Re: Brickshelf L.L.C.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 2002 16:19:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Michel Harnois writes:
The fact that Lego's customer service has up until recently directed some of
its callers to the Brickshelf's "Instructions and catalog scans", would, in my
mind, seriously weaken their case against Brickshelf L.L.C. should the
latter reinstate the online scan database with banner advertising.  Lego has
implicitly (tacitly) created a business-like relationship with Brickshelf
and made it a pseudo-satellite entity within the Lego Group.  I think it is
Lego's responsibility to do one of the following:

1) Finance Brickshelf's bandwith and maintenance cost;

2) Take the bull by the horns and integrate the scans database to its own
website (with Mr. Loch heading the project maybe?)

In my opinion the Lego Group should promptly step foward and take action to
help solve the situation. There is a strong demand out there for plans and
catalog scans and I dont understand why Lego would not get involved. It
would be mutualy advantageous to both them and the community.

I agree with you.

One other possibility that comes to my mind would be "de-centralize" the
resources: Brickshelf would have *links to* the instruction scans, that
would be hosted by volunteers in their web sites/pages(what if every LUGNET
member could lend some 5 MB? Would that be enough to solve the problem?)

Pedro