 General / 35263
Re: Alpha Team 6776 withdrawal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 04:19:57 GMT

You know, I have to say that this press release from LEGO is, in all
honesty, a joke (yeah, I know it's old, but I don't get out that often).

Ever since Castle was introduced, LEGO has included "aggresive" components
in their toys. Swords, knives, staves, sabres, guns, cannons...the list goes
on and on.

I personally don't care...I don't think there is anything wrong with toys
that include weapons.

But LEGO needs to stop pretending that it's all fluffy goodness...and a
press release saying that something goes against the LEGO "brand values" is
extremely offensive to me for a different reason.

And that would be that LEGO's product lines themselves go against the "brand
values" of unlimited playability.

Most of this year's sets are a disgrace. There is simply no other way to put it.

I'm sorry, but LEGO is not the company it used to be...and don't tell me
that times change and LEGO needs to change with them. That argument is
ridiculous. Video games and electronic toys have been around since the late
'70s and LEGO was plenty profitable until they started messing with their
basic PLAYABILITY values in the mid- to late-'90s.

The fact that the single best set available from LEGO right now is a set
designed by "one of us" is about the most sad testament to what I'm saying.
Look at the great design and incredible value of that set!! (for those of
you who don't know what I'm talking about, it's the 3739 Blacksmith Shop
designed by Daniel Siskind).

I have over 1000 sets in my collection. Almost none of them are from the
last four years. There just isn't that much compelling stuff. The Star Wars
stuff has been pretty good. But I bought it because it's Star Wars, not
because it's a particularly compelling Space theme.

The new sets are boring, uninspired and, worst of all, do not at all make
kids want to buy everything in a particular theme. Only Harry Potter has
achieved this, and that's because it's Harry Potter, and not a cool Castle
theme.

I could go on and on, but I've gone on and on before and I'm sure people are
as sick of reading it as I am (and others are) of writing it.

LEGO is no longer the product we all grew up with. The quality of the
individual pieces is still there, for the most part, but the quality and the
heart and spirit that go into the design of sets, packaging, advertising,
marketing and every aspect of LEGO have been all but lost.

I'm thankful that LEGO Direct is helping to make some things a reality. I
was glad to get a Metroliner and Club Car and Guarded Inn and now I will buy
a Blacksmith Shop. But there is not a single set in LEGO's 2002 mainstream
(read: TRU, Target, etc.) lineup that looks interesting enough to buy.

Lou

In lugnet.lego.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
The following press release was copied from:
http://www.lego.com/info/pressspecific.asp?PressReleaseId=182&Year=2001

---------------------------------
Alpha Team 6776 withdrawal
---------------------------------
On Thursday, 20 September 2001, the LEGO Company took the proactive step of
withdrawing its Alpha Team product no. 6776 from retailers and stores worldwide.

This action was taken because the printed inspirational material in the box
includes several illustrations with an aggressive theme that does not at all
conform to LEGO brand values.

In light of the tragic events in the United States, such a theme becomes even
more inappropriate. However, illustrations that suggest a violent attack on a
city should never have been published in connection with any LEGO product in the
first place. We feel so strongly about supporting our brand values that we will
always take any action necessary to ensure that every aspect of our products and
communication lives up to them.