 General / 3511
Re: And you though Ebay was bad - OUCH!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:01:35 GMT

Tom Stangl, VFAQman wrote:

Donna Gruber's Auction at http://www.d-g.com/

It's not HER fault the prices on some of those lots have gone beyond
ridiculous, beyond stupidly insane.

$3.50 for a bicycle (#26)??
$6.50 for a motorcycle (#25)??
$10 for roof tiles (#71) ?!?
$3.50 PER HORSE (#20,21)??

ARE PEOPLE INSANE???

Probably, but...

Except for the last, you've chosen rare items to talk about.

The black motorcycle came in only 4 sets (to my knowledge), in 1991,
1991-92, 92, and 1994.  If you weren't paying attention (and you like
black), you're SOL otherwise.

Black bicycles are fairly rare as well. One in '86, one in '87, then
1991 (Metroliner) and 1992 (City People -- the set that made me rate it
"fairly rare").  If you're into black and you weren't awake; better be
ready to pay.

Damn, I just procured a pair of those roof tiles in a trade, if I could get
$10 for them, they'd be sold instantly.  Especially since I bought an
entire set that has 2 of them in it and many other pieces I liked for about
$20 on Ebay a few months back.

6552, right?  Only set to ever have that particularly decorated
element?

They _are_ really cool, especially for a townie.  It's a shame TLG
didn't put them out more widely.  They also match the decor on some
roadplates.

I'm not saying I'd go $10, but I can see why they're sought after that
much.

On the horses: WTF?!?  :-)

I think too many have too much disposable income these days or something.
Or just damn well don't know any better.  Or need that ONE piece to be
Theme Complete - yeah, thats GOT to be it, nothing else makes sense.

I think that's part of it.  That one special element for that one
special set.  But then, black is rare in Mini-Figure vehicles (except
perhaps for the new three-wheel motorbike); and those tiles are pretty
darned cool.

There's also something about the lure of having JUST the elements you
want, sent right to you, no muss, no fuss, no extra hassle. <shrug>

-- joshua