 General / 34600
Re: "MOC" Blacksmith Shop on lego.com
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 03:48:25 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Allan Bedford writes:
In lugnet.market.theory, Frank Filz writes:
Kevin Wilson wrote:
but I could see
them selling something like 1/3 to 1/2 as many pretty easily (and at
less than 10 cents a brick assuming the price and piece count is
correct, we will be buying many of them to part out - in fact, it's kind
of amusing that a set developed from parting out official sets is one of
the best candidates for parting out itself -

Is it just me, or is there something out of whack with this sort of
thinking?  If this really is a strong reason that people would want to buy
this set, then the company needs to look at bulk parts in a brighter light
than ever before.

It's a very compelling reason.  I haven't bought a set for the main model in
years; everything is a parts source.  I'm positive I'm not the only AFOL out
there like this, either.

I've pre-ordered my first (mumble) copies already, strictly for parting out.
I'll build the model once (like any set I buy), but mostly it's parts
fodder.  That's the main reason I've never bought any GoB (Guild of
Bricksmiths) kits - I'd rather build my own stuff, so they're just sources
for parts and ideas.  The ideas aren't worth the premium the bricks cost.
(Not to say they aren't good ideas - they are!  It's just heavily
overshadowed by how much the bricks would cost me)

thanks,

James