 General / 34571
Re: Brick Color
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2001 04:17:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dan Boger writes:
Out of all the bricks Lego has ever made, what color do you think has the
highest production count? I've got my theories about it...but I'd like to
see if anyone else has a thought on this matter.

well, interesting question :)  So I ran a script on all the inventories on
peeron (note, this is only stuff we have inventoried, so only about 1000
sets out of more than 4500)... There's some weird things at the bottom,
which I'd say can be safely ignored... We think the #1 position is because
of all the Technic sets, with all their black pins, and the Gray is second
because we have almost all the castle sets inventoried...

One thing I haven't seen anyone mention yet is brick size. How many black
technic pins does it take to equal one 2x4 brick? And how many 2x4 bricks
does it take to equal the plastic in a 32x32 baseplate? Etc.

Each theme uses different concentrations of colors. Basic sets have a lot
more colors, and fewer greys, whites and blacks. Technic has lots of generic
color pegs & gears (until rather recently). Star Wars has lots of greys,
space sets have a higher concentration of trans-antifreeze, etc.

There's also themes which we might not generally count, like duplo, primo,
etc. Again, with higher concentrations of primary colors.

Another factor is (depending on the interpretation of the question)
production counts. A Shell-promo set might have only had a fraction of the
number of sets actually produced as, say, the X-Wing fighter set, which has
been being manufactured for several years. And as people have also
mentioned, as the years have gone on, production runs have gotten much larger.

We can also speculate as to things like the bricks for the Lego parks,
non-profit promotions, test pieces, rejected pieces, and whatever else never
sees the open market. IE if we asked Lego what color they used the most,
perhaps they went through lots of a particular color that we never saw the
result of on the market.

Essentially, it's a tough question to answer, and quite nearly impossible to
be sure of an answer to... But an interesting one, nonetheless :)

DaveE