 General / 3389
3388  |  3390
Subject:
The TOWN PLAN set of the early 1960's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:07:22 GMT

I've mentioned the TOWN PLAN set of 1961-65 on many occasions.

I was under the impression that it was only available by Samsonite
(USA/Canada), whereas the Europeans had to buy the individual buildings
(Esso Service, Garage, Church, etc) and the Town Plan Board (#200 in
Europe, #246 in USA/Canada).  With Samsonite, the board (#246) came with
the Town Plan set ($25.00), or could be purchased individually ($1.50).

I was browsing Horst Lehner's website the other day, and came across
something that really excited me.  It is a set I've never heard of,
#810.  Check out the picture in this 1965 Danish catalog.  It is the set
on the lower left of the picture (underneath a wooden box set.

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk65/GK65D-1.JPG

Now compare this to the set in Horst's 1961 USA catalog (the set with
the open box on top of it (and a copy of the same picture on the Town
Plan Board just above it).

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/us6x/US6x-1.JPG

Are these 2 sets (810 & 725) the same set?
I have always assumed that Samsonite was the only one to make the Town
Plan?
Does this mean that it was also available in Europe under a different
number?
Maybe some of our European AFOL can help solve this mystery here.

Just curious,

Gary Istok