 General / 33634
Re: Minifig Portraits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 09:25:11 GMT

John Carroll wrote:

I too have an old (really old) SLR camera.  I have a few additional
comments.  I began, recently, to always use a white background.  even it the
actual picture background is lego.  I bought one of those giant post-it note
pads and stuck one sheet to the floor and set the rest on their side, as the
background.  I set my models in the center when I photographed them (I wish
I would have thought of this before I photographed my forestmen's cave.)

Also I used kodak 400 max film since I wasn't using a flash and was indoors.
I think the way film numbers work is as the number gets higher the less
light you need.  100 outdoor, 200 outdoor/indoor with flash, 400 indoor.
(there might even be 800 film (?) I would guess that is low light film.  the
difference between 200 and 400 is surprising, black shows much better.

I played (a little) with the exposure time and f-stop but don't remember
which pics i made change to and didn't see any obvious differences.

John

Having been a professional photographer, I can tell you that the higher the f-stop
f22 or so.. everything AFTER the item you are focused on will be in focus.  5.6 is
usually the middle of the road, everything in front and everything (within reason..)
behind the center of the photograph will be in focus.  When you use f2 f2.3
everything in front of the center of the photograph will be in focus everything
behind it will be blurry.  That's why sometimes you'll hear them say what depth of
field did you use?

Also, 400 film is very grainy if you intend to blow anything up past 5x7 when you
get to 8x10 you can really tell the difference, so you'd be looking at a difference
between 640 and 1024 so to speak. If you're going to use Chemical film I'd suggest
200 asa and getting 2 lights, one to light your subject and one to light your
background, that way you get an even light pattern. I would also suggest using a
Zoom lens instead of macro lenses, you get better lighting and the camera doesn't
leave shadows because you're too close.

Just my 2 negatives ;)

Tamy