 General / 3345
3344  |  3346
Subject:
Macaroni Bricks.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 17:30:23 GMT

I copied this over from RTL:
Gary Istok

Doug Finney wrote:

Hey, I'm only 10 days behind in r.t.l now! Ah yes, yellow macaroni
pieces. I became quite the expert on their availability a few years
ago when I was working in earnest on the endless tower project (1)
any old-timers around here may remember me rattling on about back
then in horrid run-on sentences not unlike this one. :-)

At the time I had 2 from set 5581 (ack, I actually had to look the
number up! And I call myself a Model Team fanatic!) and needed just
14 more. I wasn't too keen on spending $560 for 14 pieces but
fortunately I found somebody with more than enough and traded a
bunch of BURPs for them (thanks again Huw!)

If I remember correctly, Huw said that way back when (in his corner
of the globe at least) one could buy macaroni brick packs in every
coler, even clear. Lucky for me since they're obviously turned up
in many sets and my tower just wouldn't look right without them.
Obviously not the source for the pieces that prompted this thread
but I don't have any more recent constructs to blab about so any
excuse to talk about my last one...

Doug

That's right, you used to be able to buy the macaroni bricks in red,
white, blue,
yellow, black, clear, and later in the '60s also in grey.  They came in
the
Supplemental parts packs that were available both by Samsonite (US &
Canada), and
TLG (Europe).

The European Supplemental Parts box was only half the size of the
Samsonite one.
(The European box was about the size of a USA cigarette pack, while the
larger
Samsonite box was the size of a box of 10 large marker pens, or exactly
double the
size of the European box.)

So in the case of the macaroni bricks, the European box contained 20 (of
only one
color), while the larger Samsonite box contained 33 macaroni bricks.

Check out the 1963 Samsonite parts packs (and their counts):

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_e3.jpg

(Credits:  Joe Lauher/Bill Katz - website/catalog)

Then check out the 1963 European TLG parts packs (and their counts):

http://horst-lehner.mausnet.de/lego/katalog/gk63/GK63-1.JPG

(Credits:  Horst Lehner website)

This makes for an interesting comparison.

Also, Larry Pieniazek wrote (below) about the first Shell related sets.
I think
that TLG dumped  the ESSO Service theme after 1965, and took up Shell
the following
year.  The earliest Shell set that I could find (and there might be
something
earlier), was the Shell Station set #325, which I believe was available
from 1966-71
or thereabouts.  This is a very interesting set, which I would pay
handsomely for,
if one were ever for sale.

Here is a Pause Database view of this set:

Gary Istok

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I COULD be all wet, but I would look at Shell related sets. I think • some
of the first use of yellow was in Shell gas station sets. I remember • a
friend who had one in 1966 and it was mostly white. I could swear it • had
yellow macaroni in it.

Matt Agnew wrote:

Happy Saturday!

I recently sorted through the last of a bulk purchase yesterday • and came
across some old bricks - pre-ABS, I believe.  Here's a scan of one • of them:
http://homepages.together.net/~magnew/oldbrick.jpg

Since the guy I got these from hadn't lost many pieces, I believe • the pieces
I have would be most of the ones from whatever set this is. • Included are:
2 2x2 bricks
2 2x3 plates
4 2x4 plates
2 pieces of macaroni (yes, with the old logo!)
All in yellow

Anybody have any idea what set these may be from and/or when LEGO • stopped
using the small logo on the studs?  The pieces also have "pat • pend" molded
on their undersides.  I had no idea the "macaroni" pieces had been • around
this long.  The logos seem to be rather haphazardly aligned on the • studs.
The pieces still fit together quite tightly, moreso in fact than • newer
pieces.

Thanks for any assistance,
Matt