 General / 33081
Re: Terrorist Attacks on America
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 12 Sep 2001 09:32:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Timm writes:
On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 17:03:54 GMT, "Matthew Gerber"
<matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote:

NEWS:

10,000 confirmed dead at WTC so far.

OTHER:

If anyone on the East Coast can't get phone lines out but has internet,
email or post messages and phone numers of people you want to get in contact
with here, and I'll try to relay if you like.

Suz...re: your message-thanks for letting us use LUGNET for this stuff.

Matt

I don't think they are confirmed, I'd have to say that it is a guess.

The various new channels said there could be up to 50k people in the
towers.  One channel had someone that had walked  down 92 stories and
then did a radio interview then went on further.

This is simply a evil act, it needs to be answered.

Violence begets Violence. I think Ghandi said : “Victory attained by
violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.”

The expectation right now is the attack was undertaken by group/s in
retaliation for American intervention in the middle-east. If this is the
case, the way to stop these people for good is the break the link between
what the do and their religion. When that is done, their support will be lost.

As a non-US citizen, it has been clear to me that there has been increased
scepticism towards the US since GWB came to power. If nothing else, this
heinous attack has demonstrated the folly of his foreign policy. He has
focussed overly on possible threats in the decades to come rather than
dealing with the one which exist today. The support the USA has received
from around the world in the last 20 hours or so has been considerable – and
a complete contrast to GWB’s isolationism.

Viewing the images of the destruction of human life last night on TV, it is
unclear to me how anyone could view what happened with any sort of feeling
success. However, there are those in the world who would compare the loss of
human life to what the USA and largely the EU support in Israel and Iraq
where innocents die daily. These people, would see that as sufficient
justification for what happened yesterday, just as we used the bombing of
London and Pearl Harbour to justify the annihilation of whole cites in both
Germany and Japan.

To solve all these problems for good, what we need is education. The
developed countries need to show their citizens what our foreign polices
mean in the far flung parts of the world. People who fight terrorist groups
need  to break the link between religion and violence (be it in Belfast  or
Palestine) using education not propaganda .

Scott A

Mike