 General / 3175
Re: linked user bios?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 21:24:57 GMT

Yeah, I agree with just about all of what you've said.

What we want to avoid, then, is a framework which focuses too much on
quantification (e.g., how many unopened LEGO sets someone owns or how
many LEGOLAND trips they've taken) or too much on categorization (e.g.,
someone's gender or what themes they collect).

I DO think categorization can be very useful and informative, but...

Your suggestion of an open format doesn't exclude such things, of course. If a
user feels that such personal info isn't the most useful way to describe
themselves, then they're probable right; also, I'd rather not have to wade
through irrelevant info just for the sake of a consistent form structure.

On the other hand, I think this ought to be kept somewhat simple. Half the
users have web pages, and if I want to see pictures of their masterpieces or
the name of their dog, I'll just follow the URL. I'm just looking for something
that makes it quick and easy for a reader to associate a posting with a
persona.

Actually, it would be great to provide for the possibility of linking these bio
pages to users' web sites, though. (after all, maybe I do want to know the name
of their dog!)