 General / 31486
Re: FOTM/LOTM (Loss of the Month) Some thoughts...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:24:46 GMT

In lugnet.western, Bryan Beckwith writes:
snip
LEGO is about building and creativity, not collecting and
selling.  (I am not saying there is anything wrong with collecting and
selling sets, but I really get tired of people snatching up every available
copy of sets that many of us would love to play with, not just look at.) • snip
I hope this message provokes some thought about the purpose of our hobby.

Bryan Beckwith
Hey Bryan,
I agree with your sentiments, but Lego is also about collecting and selling!
As long as there are sets unavailable (as parts or together), then
collecting and selling will be a major part of Lego.
I often wish that all the sets (or parts) were still available and the
collecting aspect was nil, but it just isn't so!
That's too bad for the builders and the creators and the kids who would
enjoy those older models.
I commend you on doing the right thing for the kid at the flea market!  I
would have done the same and hope that most of us would.  Lego is about kids
more than anying else.  It's the kids that will help keep the company going
and it's the kids that should have the opportunity to enjoy what many of us
seek to relive!
The people who buy and sell the large group of sets are not necessarily the
bad guys.  They are just filling a void that Lego has yet to resolve.
Building is about parts and parts cost money!  If a person can find a method
to help increase their stock of parts and relieve the financial part of it
too, then who's to blame them.  Lego could stop that in a heart beat by
supplying the public with the parts they wanted at a price that's affordable
(and profitable for the company).  I think they are trying to work that
direction (albeit slowly).
In all things, we have to take the good with the bad.  I, personally, have
been very pleased with the integrity of the Lego community and their
treatment towards each other.  How many other interest groups would you be
able to say that about?  I've had so many nice experiences with perfect
strangers through my lego interest.  It's amazing and a testiment to the
goodness of people in general.  Kudos to us all!
Now if Lego would just give us the parts we want at a economical price, it
would be a perfect world! hehheh
yeh.. yeh.. I'm a dreamer!
Happy building..
Tom (who's had his chance to rant and will now shut up)