 General / 30999
30998  |  31000
Subject:
Looking for information on a huge space model
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 14:20:05 GMT

Following a suggestion in lugnet.space I am reposting this here

Hi, I'm trying to track down information/pictures of a large
model that I believe was built as a shop display in the early
to mid 80's by the lego group. It was on show in either 'Dominoes'
or 'Midland Educational' both in Leicester, United  Kingdom.
The model was probably part of a classic space promotion as
it featured a huge Blue flying saucer balanced on a landing
platform surrounded by early space ground vehicles.

Here is my poor attempt at ascii art of the model (apologies
if this comes out wrong on your news reader).

<pre>
Side
      _________
___---         ---___
-------------------------
         |||            |  <-- landing pad
_________________________
---___         ___---
      ---------
------------------------

Top
    ____
   /    \
  /      \
/        \_____
|              |
|              | <--- Landing pad
|          ____|
\        /
  \      /
   \____/
</pre>

To give you some idea of the scale, the saucer is probably about
75cm-1m across, and seated on the landing pad was a 6980 Galaxy
Commander (US)/Starship Explorer (UK). This was a huge model.
The top and bottom of the saucer were blue and the insides, which
you could see into, were mainly grey. The central column was grey
with clear yellow plates in to allow the light trhough from a
fluorescent tube hidden inside. Inside the saucer were many classic
space men seated and working at computer consoles. One other thing
I remember was the landing platform, for it was a cross shape and
on each of the ends was a sliding door (similar to those on classic
fire/police stations).

<pre>
Top view of landing platform.

    ____
    |  |
___|  |___
|          |  <-- each end had a sliding door on it
|___    ___|
    |  |
    |  |
    ----

Side

Model sat on here
       __
      |  |
    __|__|__
   |  |  |  |
   |__|__|__|

</pre>

Considering this is 15 years later and I can still remember this
(at least I think I remember it ;) ) the model made a big impact
on me and I would love to here from anyone else who's seen it,
and if anyone has a picture of it that would be great. Hope you
can help.

Peter

Ps Dominoes in Leicester are still open and has probably the best
selection of lego in Leicester. Also some special offers (Droid
DK - 50 ukp, Star wars Ep 1 pod racing big set (the one with the
3 pods) -  35 ukp) which were on the last time I went in (2 weeks ago).

--
Peter Howkins - Software Engineer - TV Portal Team
Oregan Networks UK Ltd                         Tel: +44  (0) 20 8846