 General / 3095
  Wax removal?

This is almost an embarassing question. I left a Stone Tower Bridge beneath a hanging lantern with a candle in it (ok, my bedroom decoration is... eclectic) and wax dripped all over it. I had hoped that it would pry right off, but it doesn't seem to (...) (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wax removal?

(...) hoped (...) anyone (...) of (...) My wife puts her used candle holders in the dish washer. The hot water melts the wax. You should put the lego inside something so it does not get into the diswasher parts. Try a test with some spare parts.. (...) (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wax removal?

(...) I had damage with dishwasher temperatures. Consensus here seems to be don't go much above around 40 degrees Centigrade if I recall correctly. As to what to put them in, get one of those "Delicates" mesh bags, select for the finest mesh you (...) (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wax removal?

(...) No, don't do that! Put it in the freezer, which will make the wax very brittle and it should come off much easier. Kevin (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wax removal?

(...) but I'm not sure what the heat tolerance of Lego really is. (...) Larry's delicate-cycle double bag and this both sound like a good ideas, though I would opt not for any added heat here because wax often has dye in it, and I would not want to (...) (26 years ago, 6-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wax removal?

Kevin Wilson <70641.507@compuserve.com> wrote in message <36E16389.53993BC@co...ve.com>... :>I thought about introducing a low heat to melt the wax so it can wipe >off, but I'm not sure what the heat tolerance of Lego really is. : :No, don't do (...) (26 years ago, 8-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wax removal?

(...) Try using discarded women's panty hose/nylons. That was what I saw recently on a Cable TV show for removing wax. I would agree that first freeze and then break away the large pieces. And I don't think that panty hose would scratch the LEGO. (...) (26 years ago, 8-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Wax removal?

As an apprentice candlemaker (aka Wax On Everything Woman), I'd have to strongly agree with the freezer folks, with one minor addition. While still cold, if it looks like you're going to have a dye mark problem, try some baby oil on a kleenex (...) (26 years ago, 11-Mar-99, to lugnet.general)