 General / 29256
29255  |  29257
Subject:
BrickDreams Update - New Scenes, Gear Model & Other Stuff (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:54:37 GMT

Well, I received quite a few responses to my site survey, and public
opinion seems to sway towards the following trends:

*Larger Scene Sizes - About half of all who responded indicated that
they would make use of larger scene sizes. The largest and most
frequently requested size was 1600x1200. As a result, all new scenes
will be made available in 1600x1200, as well as some of the older scenes.

*640x480 is Useless - Almost nobody makes use of the 640x480 scenes. In
order to conserve FTP space, new scenes will not be made available in
640x480. For the few of you who do use 640x480, it is a simple process
to scale down an 800x600 scene.

*Black Backgrounds are Better - A very common complaint was that the
white-background scenes are too bright for desktop images. I myself
prefer the ones with black backgrounds, and have tried to avoid images
with white backgrounds for several scenes now. The simple fact is, when
I first started rendering these scenes a couple weeks ago, white was
better for picking out details while tweaking the brick model, and
renders *much* faster than black-background scenes, which require some
costly lighting effects.

*New Elements - There has also been a preference indicated for elements
other than the 2x4 brick. In response, I've developed a new 24-tooth
Technic gear model, which is still a bit rough, but I think it's ready
for public debut. I hope to expand along this line, introducing new
elements periodically.

*Everyone Likes Blue - The most popular color seems to be blue, and it's
my favorite color as well.

*Everyone Wants to See a Submission-Based Gallery - but very few people
want to/are capable of submit(ting) scenes. I'm not sure how I'll
approach this, but I'll let you know later. Suggestions on this point
are encouraged.

So after all of that pointless babbling, what's new?

*Scenes #1, #2 and #3 Available in 1600x1200 - These are the only three
older scenes which I can release in 1600x1200, without re-rendering the
model at a higher resolution, enlarging a smaller source TIFF (and
degrading image quality in the process), or putting forth some other
excessive (IMO) effort.

*Scene #9 - This is the last scene I modeled before submitting the
survey. It's a full-bleed landscape of 2x4 bricks in various colors.
It's technically the most complex scene yet rendered, at over 300
million polygons.

*Scene #10 - This is my diplomacy scene, one that addresses as many of
the opinions listed above as possible. It uses a brand-new (although
still slightly rough) 24-tooth Technic gear model, rendred in blue, on a
black background, and is available in 1600x1200. It uses my new favorite
custom texture, a highly metallic blue glass, similar to the texture
used in scene #8 but more metallic. My personal opinion is that it looks
really great, although some of you CAD guys may get on me for its lack
of detail in a few areas. The dimensions of the gear are exact or nearly
exact to an actual 24-toother (and the model is to scale with the 2x4
brick model), but it's missing a few points of detail which I hope to
remedy in the future.

http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/brickdreams/

LMKWYT, especially in regards to the new gear scene.

Follow-up set to lugnet.cad.ray

--

Regards

Micah J. Mabelitini - LUGNET #918
The University of Kentucky
SECC Middlesboro Academic Skills Resource Center
accutron@kih.net - http://www.users.kih.net/~micahx/