 General / 29238
Re: Does God have a name for God?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 15:11:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Robert Bevens writes:

More specifically, I have understood it to mean that man has the capacity
for Grace, and in this way we are created in His image.

Hey whatever blows yer hair back.  Interpretation is really the mother
of all invention, not necessity.

  Fair enough, but if you're going to criticize a view, you would be
well-advised to learn what that view is.

Aaron is actually citing well-established medieval doctrine in which God
was considered to be unlike any other creature, since, among other reasons,
He thinks (and sees, etc.) with the whole of His being, whereas lesser (ie:
all other) creatures think with only a portion of themselves.

Oh gee, what was I thinking poking fun at this "well-established
medieval doctrine"?  I mean, after all, were are talking about
something designed during the days when everybody knew the world was
flat and a solar eclipse meant a bad year for crops.

  You're committing a basic falacy of reason, in that you are assuming that,
since some of their views were incorrect, *all* were necessarily incorrect.

There's no reason to accuse Aaron of succumbing to some New Age sales
pitch simply because one finds his position untenable.

Cause gosh knows that's what I did.  Tell me, are you consciously
attempting to be an instigator of something here, or is there some
other explanation that perhaps I've overlooked?  : )

  If, somewhere within your sarcasm, there hide a few points, I'm sure they
might be worth reading, but if you come off as a loudmouth with nothing to
contribute, who's going to bother?  And what benefit is it to you?
  You can call me an instigator if you'd like, but I think my style of
debate, has been established here since long before your arrival or
delurking.  I'm not interested in making someone look personally foolish; I
would much rather debate the issues.  If you want to poke fun at me, by all
means, do so.

     Dave!