 General / 29015
Re: Analogue Control of Pneumatics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:46:44 GMT

Hi

I did some 'research' in this area about three years ago for the control of
a pneumatic robot arm. It was quite simple positional control ie position
the piston at any point in the cylinders stroke and hold it there. The
controller was just a PC and in the end I used SMC (a pneumatic company)
pneumatics cylinders which I thought had higher stiction than some other
cylinders (alledgedly ;-)), but the key was a fast acting proportional
pressure or flow flow regulation valve (these were supplied by SMC and ASCO
Joucamatic, although I guess other pneumatics companies like Festo do them
now also). These valves were controlled with a 0 - 10V analogue input that
was proportional to the pressure or flowrate out of the valve. These valves
had a full scale response time of approx 1- 2ms and the controller was
sampling at just faster than this rate. Slightly differently from other
pneumatic control efforts I only controlled the pressure into one side of
the cylinder and used gravity to drive the cylinder in the other direction.
The system was pretty accurate (about ±1mm) and repeatable. I think only
controlling from one side may have made it easier rather than having two
valves fighting each other. I used a very simple feedback PID algorithm to
control the whole thing.

So I guess you could use Lego cylinders, but the valves are another matter.
I t would be nice if Lego did a few more pneumatic components - a pump, some
simple electric solenoids valves rather than the manual ones we have at
present. I know you can build these things, but I bet the Lego ones would be
smaller and neater.

Mike

   Whoa.  Not entirely correct.  You can do accurate positioning with
pneumatics, it's just harder to do than with hydraulics, because you have to
take air compressiblity and seal "stiction" into account if you want to hit
an arbitrary position that's in the middle of your cylinder's travel.
   OK. That said, LEGO(R) pneumatic parts aren't ideal for accurate
positioning : (