 General / 28451
Re: LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2001 20:50:32 GMT

LEGO Company announces poor performance in year 2000
Billund, Denmark -- The LEGO Company today announces it ran a deficit of about
DKK 1 billion in year 2000. "Financially, the past year was extremely
disappointing," says Poul Plougmann, Executive Vice President and COO of the
LEGO Company. "But we know what went wrong and we know what to do about it."

The year 2000 was a very difficult year for the entire toy industry. But
despite many strengths and high points, the LEGO Company was affected
"because we lostfocus," Plougmann said.

BM: Baloney....it was only a disappointing year because of too many products
out on the market...what are some of the good sellers.  I think the soccor
sets have sold well, also the starwars sets, and the Mindstorms have helped
increase market interest in Lego.

BM: The latest castle series would be well, except most of the add-ons really
suck, except the joisting set, and a few of the Bull sets.  The castle is
nice, but is over-priced.

BM: The dino-island sets aren't that good, and the main set, while very
functional is also very expensive.

BM: The town sets, are either too simplistic or too expensive.  The other sets
I guess some people like them, but for the most part don't appeal to enough
people to make the production worth it.

BM: I think the key to matter is if we see a bunch of sets like insectiods
and lego divers, lego outback, and the lego time series (time twisters
especially) you can still see remnants on the shelf, as well as rock
raiders.  Most of the smaller sets suffer from the same current problem...
the small sets suck and the large sets are nice but over-priced.
I remember when Lego put out some very nice middle-of-the-road sets that
were neither too expensive but nice to sell by itself.

"We will refocus on our core business, which is materials for open-ended play
for children," he said. "That is what the brand is about -- stimulating
imagination, creativity and learning -- and it is what children and parents
expect from us. We will continue to expand within this area, applying a growth
strategy with a huge potential and lower risk."

BM: the best way to do this is stop or reduce the production of large
specialty bricks (like the town junior vehicle headlights!!!) and do it
the old fashion way of using more bricks....that would allow more creativity
and cost a whole lot less....it would cut costs on production runs, making
it cheaper to put out sets (mass production!!!) and did I mention about
creativity already....ooops I said it again!!

Plougmann said all indicators point to a profitable year 2001 for the privately
owned LEGO Company. "The LEGO brand is as strong as ever," he said.

BM: please...they are trying to market Bionicle which might appeal to some
more main stream people, and the LOM, which might appeal to some more....
and don't forget Alpha Team....I have already shared my views on that...
I like the over-all concept just don't like the whole way it was marketed.
the other themes they are pushing probably won't do to well.

BM: I know and most of you all know what Lego must do....put out new and
innovative sets in their 3 (4) main lines.  They must put out sets in
the space line, castle line, town line, and for you pirate buffs, some
more sets in the pirate line.  You look at what sells on E-bay and how much
value is generated on it, and you match up some of the wants of consumers
in this market with a world-wide marketing clout like Lego has (well the
clout it potentially has) and those losses will change over-night to
gains....

BM: just my opinion that's all