 General / 28171
28170  |  28172
Subject:
Mr Legoland Windsor banged up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 16:02:51 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

From The Register

An Internet fraudster was jailed for a year today after wangling credit card
details out of surfers by starting bogus sites under the names of famous
companies.

Craig Cottrell, also known by the name of Legoland Windsor, received the
sentence after Marks & Spencer took matters into its own hands and
marched him to the High Court.

The high street retailer said it wanted to safeguard its own customers' bank
account details as Scotland Yard was busy being "inundated with similar
scams", Ireland.com reported.

M&S also used the civil courts to shut down the 23-year-old, who set up sites
under the names of Tesco, Cadbury and Legoland. Cottrell, who had
addresses in Reading, Berks, and Skellingthore, Lincoln, used a range of
aliases, and last year decided to change his name by deed poll to Legoland
Windsor.

He used the sites to get credit card details, and then used them to go
shopping online. M&S said he had so far failed to hand over a list of
customers who had given him their information.

Mr Justice Lightman said Cottrell's actions "seriously put at risk the
reputation of Marks & Spencer."

I think this person is seriously evil.  Changing his name to Legoland in order
to scam people's credit cards!  Lego buyers beware!

-Alfred