 General / 27153
Re: Why do you build?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:38:20 GMT

In lugnet.space, Kirby Warden writes:

    I use Lego to further my artistic skills.
    I use Lego to satisfy my hunger to create.
    I use Lego as a means to release my imagination in healthy doses.

    ...so, why do you build?

Ha!  Great question.  I just saw a documentary called "Lumiere" which was
filmed for the 100th anniversary of the Lumiere Bros. movie camera... basically
they gave it to 40 directors (including Spike Lee and David Lynch, although
most of them were French) and had them make a film with it.  There were certain
rules, of course...

Anyway, as the movie went on they also asked all of the directors three
questions:

1) Is cinema immortal?
2) Why do you film?
3) Why did you accept this project?

So, I'll answer the question "Why do you build" and also submit the far sillier
question "is LEGO immortal?" and answer it myself.  Clearly the third one is
kind of moot without a specific project to talk about- answering it in general
terms is basically answering question #2.

Why do I build?  Well, sometimes it's because I get a shape in my head and I
can't get it out until I actually form it.  Sometimes that work turns into a
full blown MOC, sometimes not (My aeroplane, "Project 1138", was one of these).
Sometimes, I want to challenge myself to build something that I have seen that
I think is interesting- I just rented "Cowboy Bebop" last night, for example,
and I started working on a MOC that is based on Faye's ZipCraft.  Sometimes, I
just manipulate a handful of parts into different shapes when I'm on the phone,
just because they're there.

Do I think LEGO is immortal?  Well, I do know that if LEGO closed up their
doors tomorrow, I would still build with the parts I have, and I would still
try to acquire more.  I beleive that Lugnet would continue, as I know many LEGO
fans would feel the same way I do.  I do think that as an abstract, contruction
toys will always exist in some form, even if it's one we haven't thought of
yet.  LEGO itself is probably less immortal, though... eventually bricks will
run out.  I don't have the faith in TLC to take a very basic concept that they
should be more than able to prosper at in perpetuity and manage not to close
down eventually.

eric