 General / 27124
Re: Is there a way to reduce/repair scratches in clear parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 01:00:20 GMT

Oh well, now I've given away my secret.... Glad it worked for you Brad!
Hmmm I didn't know it came in more flavors.. I've always used the paste in a
tube which is made for Metal or Fiberglass...  I'll have to take a trip to the
hardware store and check out the other ones they might have!

Enjoy :)
Tamy

Brad Hamilton wrote:

I picked some of this up and it worked great!

It is a bit pricey.  It comes in 3 "flavors." - One for fixtures, one for
metal, and another for fiberglass/plastic.  They only had the plastic
version in a large, 250ml can for about $10.  It was easily located at my
local hardware store (NOT Home Depot, or Target, - a regular hardware
store).

Mookie, what "flavor" did you get?  Did you use the metal or plastic
variety. They say that the metal version is heavier duty.

Anyhow, I tried this on several old Paradisa windows.  It remove about 90%
of the small scratches, and about 30% of the really big ones.  It did not
take an overly long time.  The worse the quality of the original, the more
rubing it took.

Technique:

- I applied a reasonable amount of it all over both sides of the part and
let it sit for about 30 seconds.  Then, I buffed it with a clean (i.e. not
the one you originally used) paper towel or toilet paper.  Once buffed off,
I kept getting little dabs of the stuff on there and rubbing, switching to
new pieces of toilet paper every so often.
- I kept repeating the above process until all the scratches (or at least
most of them) were gone.  At this point, the surface looks a bit dull.
- Now, I polished the piece with a clean cloth towel.  This brought the
shine back.

Results:

2 3x3x6 Paradisa windows, heavily scratched, some discoloration - I cannot
perceive any scratches on these when I hold them really close to my face.
The discoloration was reduced significantly.  Clarity was improved
substantially.  These parts now look almost new!

2 6x6x9 Paradisa windows, VERY heavily scratches, very discolored, very
opaque - About 90% of small scratches gone, about 30% of the large scratches
removed.  The discoloration and opacity have been reduced significantly
(although not as good as with the other windows).  These windows went from
awful to fair-good.

I was also able to use this to get the printing off of pieces.  I think it
works about as well as BRASSO.  It doesn't smell quite as strongly as
BRASSO.