 General / 26795
26794  |  26796
Subject:
Need opinions about a new lego site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 03:14:25 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hey, my brother and I have an idea for a Lego site but I want to know if
anybody thinks it's cool. I'd like it to be called legoshowntell.org.

People could get user accounts on it and share their models. For instance,
users could submit MPD/DAT files and the server would convert them to
raytraced rotating animations. Alternately, users could simply post their
own jpgs. Along with each model they could throw up a text description.
Other users could rate each others' models and comment on them right on the
page where they are displayed.

The main page could be configured per user to display new models rated more
than a certain amount. The main page would also show models of the week and
month, as well as allowing users to browse each other's model collections,
with auto-generated thumbnail images.

Users themselves could have a rating that is the average of their models'
ratings, so it would be easier to narrow down which user collections you
would like to look at first. I can just imagine contests between
highly-rated users, spurring them on to more and better building, ultimately
benefiting the whole community. Models would get collected from far and wide
and displayed in a standard format, bringing them to a wider audience.

Anyhow, this is my dream. In order to make it a reality I'll need the
domain, and a server that allows something more fancy than raw HTML and
files -- like PHP and a database. Although I'm prepared to work at this with
only my brother, if anybody wants to help, I'd be very happy! :)

May Lego live long and prosper!

--Mark