 General / 24527
Re: Lego.com Advertising
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2000 19:53:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Culberson writes:

John Battcock wrote:

Good Evening,

As I was checking out at Cdnow.com I spotted a Lego advert for Lego.com in
one of those pop up windows. "Great gift Ideas". The link takes right to
shop at home where you are asked for a country.

John Battcock

Also seen at ww.merriam-webster.com (yeah, the dictionary) with caption:
"Sure, Aunt Edna's Fruitcakes are Great..."
"But trust us, they'll like these bricks even better"

Personally I question the idea that they're still calling them bricks.

You bring up a rather amusing point.  Here Lego is, on a dictionary website,
calling their pieces bricks when that very website defines a brick as:

   1 plural bricks or brick : a handy-sized unit of building or paving
material typically being rectangular and about 2 1/4 x 3 3/4 x 8 inches (57
x 95 x 203 millimeters) and of moist clay hardened by heat
   2 : a good-hearted person
   3 : a rectangular compressed mass (as of ice cream)
   4 : a semisoft cheese with numerous small holes, smooth texture, and
often mild flavor
   5 : GAFFE, BLUNDER -- used especially in the phrase drop a brick

I think the phrase "typically being rectangular" is what seems to be missing
for the more recent Lego inventory.   Perhaps Lego has "dropped a brick"
here (see defn 5) :-)

- Jeff