 General / 23749
Re: Are you paying attention, LEGO?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 14:32:23 GMT

The challenge they're going to
face is price wars with consumers who buy multiple copies of sets on deep
discount and devalue the price of elements.

This will only present a challenge with respect to the amount of consumers
that have the savvy to find those resellers.  BrickBay is great but if TLC
gets the ball rolling on bulk sales there will be no comparing the market
penetration of the two.  Another consideration is the fact that the
resellers are limited in what they can offer while TLC isn't.  Joe's Lego at
BrickBay might undercut TLC price for bulk 1x8 black bricks for a few days
but Joe's stock WILL sell out...as will his supplier.

Secondly, with bulk bricks, LEGO doesn't need to waste time and money
designing and printing pretty cardboard boxes that go around the bricks.
Don't forget that half of a LEGO box these days is air -- and that air is
shipped to Wal*Mart.  It wastes space horribly.  But it's still profitable
enough that they can afford to do it.

Here's a real-world example.  I just yesterday shipped 15 copies of one set
without packaging for $8.10.  Another shipment of 7 boxed and 4 unboxed sets
cost $13.50!

Will