 General / 23443
Re: 8x11 box and plate
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 19:06:28 GMT

In the boxes I have the box designs are 4. One for each box number.

518  an adult man building a building
519  a young adult male and female building
520  an interior house design, with two people in black cardboard
521  a gray roofed house on box cover (this is the rarest?)

And all the back of the boxes are the suspended plates.

Gary, the danish old boxes you have, come with pictures? Any scan in
someplace?. (1227 and 1230 you said?).In the catalog that I have only show
the 1230. The bricks are numbered like 700/28, 700/24, 700/20, 700/16, 700
1/1 (the 2x4 brick), 700 3/4, 700 1/2, 700 1/4. 1221 (1x1 brick).

The older little box that I have, I thought is from 1957-58 and have the
town plan horizontally witn a traffic police in it with
some children and the other side is 3 playing children in the town plan.
Text in german. Box number 210. The other little boxes I have show vertical
pictures.

Manuel

In lugnet.build, Gary Istok writes:
Manuel is correct.  It is the Architectural Series Parts pack box (#518, 519, 520, 521).  Originally, these were made in
red/white/blue/black/gray/clear, but NOT yellow (that color was not a part of the Architectural sets).  I have about 40 of
these boxes.  There are only 3 different box designs; 1) an adult man building a building, 2) a young adult male and female
building, 3) a gray roofed house on box cover.  On the reverse there are pictures of modern LEGO furniture (an interior house
design), and pictures of plates suspended midair.

These Architectural parts packs were made from 1963-65.  The survival rate of these plate boxes is quite high (I don't think
they were good sellers in the 60's, and they can be purchased reasonably for $8-$25 (the higher price is for the highly
desireable clear plates).  These were only ever available in continental Europe.

I have in my collection a rare example of these in Yellow (a #521 - 1x1 and 1x2 plates).  Yes I know I just said that they
were not produced in yellow.  Probably by 1965 TLC saw that the Architectural series was not a success, so they ended the
line, and must have had some left over empty plastic boxes.  The yellow box I have was a clear brick box with the clear
bricks on the cardboard sleeve having a square of yellow ink (or paint?) "stamped" over the picture of the clear plates to
make them look yellow.  It is hard to describe without a picture, but TLC differentiated clear and gray bricks on the box
covers by putting lines thru the clear bricks to show them as shiny.

Interestingly enough, there are some pictures of one of these in EBAY right now.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=474199663

Gary Istok

Manuel Cueto wrote:

Hi

The plate is from Architectural Sets. I quote Gary Istok in an old post (I
didn´t found the number).

Gary Istoq wrote.....

"Interestingly enough, the only other large CA gray plate that I am aware of
was (continental Europe only) from those 1963-65 Architectural Sets parts packs
(the hard plastic clear box version of plates packs 518, 519, 520, 521).  These
had an 8x11 (yes that is a strange size) gray plate as the bottom of the parts
pack box (where an 8x11(x4) clear plastic box fit over the top of.  These were
the parts packs for the shortlived Architectural series (1963-65) of sets - 750,
751, 752."

And my little contribution....

It have a cardboard and the box slip inside. The boxes had 4 different
pictures and a little panflet.. I´m  OK?.....

Manuel Cueto

In lugnet.build, Selçuk Göre writes:

Duq wrote:

Hi all,

I put a picture of some old pieces on brickshelf
(http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=18139).
Can anyone tell me what sets this is from? Must be 50's or 60's, but I
haven't seen any pictures of it anywhere. All the studs have the LEGO logo
on them, so it definitely is the real thing...

Duq

Most probably a car showcase for the HO scale cars that Lego produced in 50's and 60's. Actually I could be wrong, since
the ones that I saw before were 4 studs wide. Tore Ericson and Gary Istok can give more insight I think.

Selçuk