 General / 23223
Re: T-Shirts -- A possible solution?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 19:32:28 GMT

From: mcase@metrolink.net (Mike Case)

Am I disappointed that the 'Classic Space Minifig' T-Shirt is no
longer available?

--Sure.

Me too.

Am I surprised that TLG moved to protect their copyright?

--Not at all.

Nope.

Do I think they are being unreasonable?

--Not a bit.  They are worried about protecting their copyright.  Even
though this wasn't a direct threat, I can see how it would weaken
their protection if they ever had to fight a large scale challenge
legally.

I think TLG was following the letter of the law, which unfortunately isn't
the same as the spirit of the law. My shirts were harmless, and they
wouldn't have affected anything.

It was still a commercial venture involving a Lego
trademarked image.  I know Mark Sandlin wasn't making any money from
it, but the shirt maker *WAS*.

Should TLG offer a similar T-Shirt (or series of shirts)?

--You bet.  I hope that with the attention we are now getting from
TLG, one will be available by next Summer.

We can hope, but I'm not counting on it. Do you really think TLG is going to
undertake the effort of making shirts for a very few people on Lugnet?

I know they've put things in S@H because of our requests, but those were
sets that already existed. All they had to do was set some aside for S@H.
TShirts would require a new effort.

Are there any other options?

--I'm not sure, but I do have an idea I want to propose.  What if
someone were to make a classic space diorama out of some of the sets
and took a picture of it?  Could that picture be used for a T-Shirt
without endangering the Lego group's copyright/trademark protection?

Doubtful. My shirts had a "picture" of a CS dude. They aren't going to
respect your diorama picture any more than my CS dude.

Oh sure, you could make one for yourself, but don't try to sell any.

~Mark
--
Mark's Lego(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego