 General / 23206
Re: No More T-Shirts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 00:54:52 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Mark Sandlin writes:
Hi Everyone,

I was contacted by Robin Smith, Legal Counsel for The LEGO Group,
and was asked to remove the Classic Space T-Shirts from
cafepress.com.

I have done so, in the interests of continued goodwill toward and from
TLG.

I exchanged a couple emails with Robin, and I indicated our frustration in
the community that there doesn't exist any Classic Space merchandise,
and that's where my shirts came in. Robin mentioned some kind of shirt
sold in LEGO Stores, but since there aren't any in my area, and none
available from S@H, that doesn't mean a whole lot to me personally, or
to many of you, I'm sure.

Whatever the case, I thanked Robin for at least taking the time to talk with
me about it. She assures me that LEGO is paying attention to us, and
steps are being taken toward a more proactive stance with FOLs. I see
the recent availability of the Chrome Knights sets as proof of this.

I did mention my own frustration that TLG seemed more interested in
protecting their copyright than in ascertaining whether my T-Shirts were
actually harmful to TLG. Robin asserted that it was harmful in a
degradation-of-copyright sense, which, while I disagree, is TLG's right to
enforce.

Anyway, just letting you guys in the community know that the shirts aren't
available anymore, and I won't be making any more of any kind without
the express written approval of TLG.

~Mark
--
Mark's LEGO(R) Creations
http://www.nwlink.com/~sandlin/lego

The t-shirt she probably mentioned is one I saw at LIC in Orlando.  It is a
bright green shirt with a classic space minifig on the front.  The minifig has
a female face.  It's just for kids and no size over a kid's large.  HOOPTY!
Does us no good and no kid is going to know the significance of a classic
space minifig.

Dear Lego, how about marketing something to the people who are demanding it.
We want to celebrate your product, we're paying homage and giving free
advertising... heck I'll pay you to advertize on a shirt I own.  Works for
Nike!

Chris <><