 General / 23069
23068  |  23070
Subject:
New LEGO commercial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.sports, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:03:15 GMT

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new LEGO commercial!  Yesterday was the
MLS(Major League Soccer) Cup Championship game on ABC.  The pregame show was
sponsored by LEGO.  The first commercial of the first commercial break in the
pregame show was a new commercial for LEGO soccer.  Here's a description:

A shot of a soccer field from above the goalie's shoulder as the opposing team
lines up for a penalty kick.  A little white object flys out and hits the
player about to take the kick on the head.  The looks down and it's a LEGO
soccer ball.  He picks it up and looks behind the goal at the kid who threw
it.  The kid motions to him in a "I'll take you on" motion.  The player walks
over and asks "What's this?"  The kid answers "LEGO Soccer."  The scene cuts
to the two of them sitting at a LEGO Championship Challenge set.  They show
them playing and the player wins.  The kid says, "Now we'll play by our rules"
and it shows them quickly changing the field to the 4 goal setup.  Then one of
the kid,s friends drops 4 balls in and it shows the player playing against 3
kids.  The kids win and celebrate while the player shakes his head.  Then the
annoucer says "LEGO Soccer, available at your local toy store (or something
like that)" while the boxes are displayed on screen.

The odd thing was that they displayed 5 boxes, but one of them was the small
grandstand only available through Shop at Home.  There are six sets (Shoot n'
Score, Grandstand, Players Bus, Super Sport coverage, championship Challenge,
and the small S@H only grandstand) and I think they didn't show the Super
Sport Coverage box.  I didn't notice until the second time they showed teh
commercial (at halftime during the game) and it went by so fast I didn't catch
it.

LEGO must have given MLS some money for this game as their logo was much more
visible than it has been during the season.  In addition to sponsoring the pre-
game show and the two airings of the new commercial the LEGO signboard at the
edge of the field was on the opposite side of the field from the cameras so it
was easily seen on TV.  During every other game this year it was on the same
side of the field as the primary camera, so it was only seen during a corner
kick from that side of the field or some other time when they had to use the
opposite view camera.  Also the LEGO logo appeared as an in-game sponsor next
to the scoreboard in the corner of the screen, which is the first time that's
happened this year.