 General / 22453
Re: US vs. Canada LEGO prices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 19:44:06 GMT

Mos Espa Podrace is $90 at Zellers because they put in on clearance.  I think
the original price is $109.99.  Zellers currently has a great Episode 1 value
pack, see my posts on on lugnet.starwars for details.

In lugnet.general, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
In lugnet.loc.ca, Bradley Dale writes:
These really don't conform to the exchange rates. According to S@H, to • exchange
US $ to Canadian $, multipy y 1.43.  But the suggested retail prices are • really
off sometimes.

G'day Bradley,

Yeah, there is some weirdness in the costs between Canada and the
USA.  I don't know anything about the S@H prices, but the retail
prices ceratinly show differences.  It seems many of the
sets in Canada are ticketed at 50% higher than in the USA.  Since
the exhange rate is pretty much 50% (dunno why S@H only uses 43),
then the sets really cost the same in each country, ignoring
taxes of course.  But there are some examples of really wild
differences, usually on larger sets.  The 7171 Mos Espa Pod
Race has always been my notable example, where the USA list
price is US$90.  But in Canada this set sold on shelves at Zellers
and the like for Cdn$90, or only US$61.  That's a massive difference.
There's been other sets I've seen like that, tho I can't remember
which ones..., I think many of the medium-sized Star Wars sets were
largely cheaper to buy in Canada, particularly if you caught a
20% off sale at TRU, or a 15% off at Zellers, to kill the taxes.

I really don't know why they get priced like that.

KDJ
Kyle D. Jackson, LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada