 General / 22214
Re: WARNING: Do NOT deal with Dave McWilliams [also assistance from t he UK wanted]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:00:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
G'day,
I'm posting this warning as a result of an auction run several months ago by
this individual [The auction was run on Lugnet:
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.market.auction:5611
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.market.auction:5667
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.market.auction:5687
and finished on the 5th of May.]

Since the end of this auction several people have sent payment to this
individual, and, from what I have heard [1] there doesn't seem to have been
a buyer who got what they paid for [or in quite a few cases...got anything
at all!] After repeatedly trying to contact him, another bidder [ Andreas
Stabno] in similar circumstances started contacting all succesful bidders
from this auction to see whether his parcel had become lost in transit or
something. He had also had the experience of his emails not receiving
replys. Due to a large number of bidders not having received their items
from this auction, he decided to send a registered letter to Dave on August
19. Today he received the letter back in the post, "with a big "Refused"
stamped on the front".
The following is a copy of this letter [which Dave obviously hasn't read, as
it was returned "refused"]:
"
August 19, 2000
Dave McWilliams
102 Grosvenor House
Ashton-under-Lyne
Tameside
Lancashire OL7 OSB
ENGLAND
I have become very concerned regarding the status of our Lego deal. Since I
have sent you $96 on 5/6/2000 for Lego set #5590, you have confirmed on
5/10/2000 that the money arrived. Since then I have neither received my
package nor any communication from you. I have repeatedly emailed you and am
now formally writing to demand either the set that you had promised or a
return of my money.
The following individuals from your auction responded that they were also
dissatisfied with you:
* Jan-Albert van Ree received #6542, #6833, and #6923, but #6542 was
missing over 20 parts including two minifigs. You promised in an email on
May 29 that you would try to find the missing parts, but you have not
responded to Jan-Albert since then even though he has sent at least 5 email
messages to you in the meantime.
* Jason Small received #6887, #6973, and #6981. The sets were missing
a few pieces.
* Benjamin Whytcross sent money for sets #6667, and #6813 and has
neither received them nor heard from you.
* Tim Strutt sent $60 for #6351, #6544, #6335 and has neither received
them nor heard from you.
* Ashley Glennon received his sets. I have not asked him whether they
were complete.
* I will contact Phil Sutton to see if he received his set.
In 1997 an individual from Leicestershire scammed a number
of Lego collectors by accepting their money and refusing to send the sets
that he had promised. We contacted the authorities who then took him into
custody. If you wish to fulfill your obligations, I request that you call me
immediately to explain the situation and how you will rectify these deals.
If I do not hear from you very soon, I am prepared to take legal action and
contact these same authorities.
Andreas Stabno
"
As a result of this, we would like to also ask if there is anyone who lives
in the same area as Dave who could either:
1) contact him, and get him to carry out his side of the auction [eg...get
him to post the sets (and missing parts where applicable)]
OR
2) Assist us in talks with the constabulary in his area with the aim of
getting our sets/parts or money back. [If anyone can remember the site where
the info about the RTL'er who tried a similar thing, this would also be of
use.[2]] If there is no-one in this area, then Andreas does have the snail
mail address and phone number of the Greater
Manchester Police department, but he would rather here from someone in the
UK first if possible.

I realise that for some bidders they may be able to write off the loss of
whatever amount they sent, but in my case it was a reasonable percentage of
my monthly lego budget [which isn't large, admittedly], and I would prefer
to have something to show for it (besides which, one of the sets I got was
for my brother who has an even smaller budget.)

Thanks to all for reading and for any assistance they may be able to give.
[1] Courtesy of Andreas' emails to other bidders.
[2] Todd, would it be possible to have a link to this site [if still up] on
the market page to warn fraudulent sellers of the consequences of this sort
of action to stop it getting to this stage again?

Benjamin Whytcross
BWhytcro@PacificAccess.com.au
Ph: (03) 9856 5282
Directory Technology Pty Ltd
1/436 Elgar Road,
Box Hill, 3128

Growing older is compulsory..Growing up isn't :-)
^Especially in his case ;-)