 General / 21809
21808  |  21810
Subject:
Who's who in the A Team?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 05:40:20 GMT

One of the more exciting new themes for next year looks to be Alpha/Action
Team. The new S@H catalogue gives us a chance to guess who these crazy guys
and gals really are.

First have a look at Kevin L's great scan:

and check out the accompanying text (thanks Mike P):

"Welcome to a world of secret agents, amazing gadgets and covert operations
where only the quick-witted will survive!  You get to take charge of the LEGO
Alpha Team, a crew of secret agents, each with a superhero power and
specialized gizmo.  Your mission: rescue 5 members of the Alpha Team who have
been captured and are being held in Evil Ogel's compound while arranging LEGO
contraptions to maneuver obstacles within the various compounds.  Do you have
what it takes to save the World."

The A-Team's logo seems to be a cross between a waffle iron and Saturn. I've
marked those heroes who bear this powerful symbol with an asterisk, below.
There are six characters shown:

All Round Action Hero*
Brown crew-cut, accessory belt, his superhero power seems to be dashing good
looks.

Pink haired Danger Babe
She wields a laser scalpel, carries an impressive array of painful looking
instruments and always wears her seatbelt.

Crazy Abseiler*
With a grin as broad as his taste for adventure, this wisecracking madman
looks to be silliest minifig character since the big T.

The Manchurian Candidate*
He has a moustache and goatee Ming the Merciless would have destroyed planets
for and might be able to fly. That's about it.

Demolition Man*
By day, he drives a Scorpion Buggy in Race events around the world. By night,
he blows things up for the highest bidder. Looks like he had one face lift too
many.

Miss Mechanic*
Don't let her prim, over the specs manner, or that shaggy mane of auburn hair
deceive you. This is a serious young woman who has a very serious way with a
pair of shifting spanners.

It's possible that in the game you play the part of one A-Team member, while
you try to rescue the other five. So unless Oleg is in disguise, the pink
haired medic, or I've made a mistake, and assuming he or she is on the box,
that leaves us with only one possibility:
Oleg is an ominous white pair of Pants. Run while you can.

In the ABS, I'm looking forward to a range of funky new hairstyles and some
great sets. Here's hoping that there are some characters who don't have
microphones surgically implanted on their heads.

--DaveL