 General / 21288
Re: non-Lego elements (rumors on Knex)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:32:48 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:

If LEGO buys knex, and they decide to integrate the two different lines, that
will just give us MORE pieces to play with.  Although, it would also give us
more pieces to sort and store...  ;-)

JohnG, GMLTC
fut .build

I have heared by rumors, that Lego in fact HAS bought Knex!

The story I heared is the following:

Lego lost market volume by Knex, so they decided to bring out a comparable
line, which was the cheap SNAP crap... (My personal opinion on SNAP is, I
dislike it and it is of course not part of Lego System toys.)

Knex got into trouble by SNAP and Lego was able to overtake them. Now the SNAP
line won't be continued and Knex will vanish from the shelves in a short too.

That's how I heared this story (as said just as a rumor). Can anybody prove it
or maybe better tell that this story isn't true?

Of course that's just marketing (or should I call it darwinism?), but I think
such a behaviour wouldn't fit into the moralic schemes of the official Lego
policy.

Sorry to write a Lego-critical posting again: I'm one of the greatest fan of
the Lego products (at least those from my childhood), but now and then I lost
my faith in the abilities of the Lego companies leaders....

(On the other hand: the winter catalogue 2000 has got a lot of great new models
and town junior is nearly past, yeah!)

Kind Regards,

Ben