 General / 20114
20113  |  20115
Subject:
Finally back home - catching up on commitments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 03:38:28 GMT

Hey all,

After spending the better part of the last month and a half in and out of
Knoxville, rental cars, and the hospital, Rachael and I are fully back at home
and catching up on our lives.

I've responded to some e-mail over the last few weeks but not as much as I
would have liked.  Things have been pretty hectic, so here's a brief
explanation.

Rachael's mother Patt began battling ovarian cancer about 18 months ago.
Those familiar with the disease know it is seldom caught early, and Patt's was
no exception.  She fought the good fight for a long time, enduring surgeries,
various experimental chemotherapies, and numerous hospital stays.  These last
2 months she spent more time in the hospital than at home, and so did we,
spending as much time with her as possible.

About 4 weeks ago Patt made the brave decision to forego further treatments or
surgery, preferring to spend her final days at home with her family where she
could see her garden that she loved and tended so well.

Patt passed away early Sunday morning, July 2nd.  We buried her the next
Friday, having to put off the service as friends and family from around the
country drove and flew in.  My experiences with funeral services has been very
limited, but I can honestly say we should all wish for the kind of happy/sad
mixture of celebration and sadness our families had that day.  Patt was a
wonderful woman, not just because she was my wife's mother, but for so much
more.  I hope you all have some in your lives as bright and full of joy as she
was for us.

It's been a hard several weeks for us, especially for Rachael.  I don't know
if anyone is ever ready to lose a parent, especially someone who just turned
25, but we're pulling through it.  Luckily, our jobs provide a great deal of
flexibility and understanding.  Luckily also, this community of AFOL's,
builders, buyers, sellers, readers, everyone, is kind and understanding as
well.

I'm behind on a handful of transactions, and I'm going to do my best to get
those settled this week.  If you're waiting for parts from me, please don't
hesitate to drop me a note, although I can tell you that if you're John R,
Scott D, Dan S, or Kevin S, that you're already on the "take care of it ASAP"
list, but like I said, feel free to drop me a note.

Some people have asked me if I'll have new parts up soon - and I will, as soon
as these things are taken care of.  Luckily for me, Dan's gotten Brickbay up
and running so that part of my parts selling job will be made much easier.