 General / 20071
Re: Pokemon (was: Harry Potter Lego Line)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 17:17:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
Christopher Weeks wrote:
In lugnet.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
:-,  I discovered that I actually like Pokemon.
Hunh?

I discovered that I actually like Pokemon.

Anyone hear an echo?  :-,

The Game Boy game is pretty fun,
Oh, you just mean that you like the game boy game, right?

It started from that, yes.  Barbara and I have also recently started buying
into some of the cooler miniatures; I currently have Cubone sitting Shiva on
my computer monitor at work, and am actively seeking Charizard for Barbara.

Have you seen the show?  Is the game just the same?

Ag.  Ack.  Ptui.  Don't get me started.  Oops, you got me started...

I realize that the show is crucial for Nintendo's marketing juggernaut, but
it's quite absolutely atrocious.  After watching just two minutes, I want an
epileptic siezure to make it stop.  It's that bad.

That is because they chop out anything to do with Japanese culture and anything
that isn't G-rated.  The end result is an absolutly awful show.

Weapons-grade brainwashing techniques aside, the show also suffers horribly
from its characters and plot.  EVEN for a cheap Japanese kid's cartoon.  If
Team Rocket acted half as well in the show as they did in the game, Ash & co.
would soon be hiding out in bomb shelters.

For what age group do you think that Pokemon is appropriate?

The GB game, probably anywhere from age 8 upwards.  (I can't really speak for
the card game.)  I'm 28, and I enjoy the game very much.  I just think that
the concept (1) and presentation are absolutely brilliant.

Cheers,
- jsproat

1.  obdisclaimer:  I know that Pokemon didn't start the whole
monster-collecting game genre, but it's certainly helped it out.