 General / 18534
Re: Too many auctions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 15:06:48 GMT

   Hi,

lawrence wilkes wrote:

I cant critise folks for holding auctions, I do it myself, but just as an
observation there are now 2500 items of lego for auction on ebay USA. Thats 50
pages to browse. There are over 150 items closing tonight alone.

Hard to keep track. And thats just ebay, and just USA.

As more and more sets come up for sale it must depress prices I guess. Some
things certainly dont seem to be realising what they did last year. Though
perhaps the genuinely rare ones continue to improve in value as awareness
increases.

For sets, I would agree.  This is why I part things out.  It is possible that some
of these lots are one or two people's mass-listing pulse.  It is also true that
many of these auctions are for the same thing.  My 8480 shuttles on eBay never
failed to fetch over $120, and that is six instances between February and now.
(It may, however, be due to my willingness to ship internationally--lately the
good prices have generally come from outside the US.  So I'm all in favour of
people continuing to declare "I will only ship inside the US," because it means
more and better business for me!)

This is part of the reason I part sets out.  That way shoppers in a crowded eBay
market can search for the specific parts they want, I get better prices per piece
on sets that are relatively cheap, and the buyer gets just what they need.  An
increase in volume might depress my final price a little bit, but not *too*
significantly.

Anyways, that's my $0.02, going once.

best

Lindsay