 General / 18341
Re: Interesting Lego bricks, and a question to the historians
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 15:09:41 GMT

Frank Buiting wrote:

"Anders Isaksson" <isaksson.etuna@REMOVEebox.tninet.se> wrote in message
Alan Demlow skrev i meddelandet ...
The slots were for the doors and windows available at the time, • apparently.

Yes, my wife just told me :-) "Why didn't you ask ME first" she says, and • goes
and fetches a plastic bag with about 50 of these old bricks!!! She belives
they are from the beginning of 1950, as that matches the age of her • cousin,
who gave them to her when she was little.

The bricks are Automatic Binding Bricks, see:
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/a.html
AFAIK: The period of production is 1949 to 1957 (in 1958 the current version
of the bricks were patented).

--
Frank Buiting

Visit the LEGO Lexicon: http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/

Yes it sounds like these are the Automatic Binding Bricks.  They did start in
1949, but I am not exactly sure when the "slotted" bricks ended production.  I
have a 1957 set #700 (wooden box with contents), and all of the bricks are
without the tubes on the bottom, but they also are without the slots on the
sides.   The set has 40 classic windows and doors.  According to "The Ultimate
LEGO Book", the classic LEGO windows (and doors) came out in 1957.  Therefore
the slotted bricks were no longer in production by 1957.

My #700 set has "LEGO" on most of the pieces, but not all of them.  The 1x6 and
1x8 white beams are without "LEGO", as are some of the white plates (2x8 have
LEGO, 4x8 right and left curve are without, 4x8 is without LEGO, 6x8 - some have
LEGO, some don't).  Also the 10x20 (blue) thick baseplate is without LEGO.  So
it appears that LEGO was sold with and without the logo on the studs, and it was
not uncommon to find them mixed together within the same set in the 1950's.

The pre-classic LEGO windows and doors look different from the classic series.
These pieces didn't have studs on top of the window/door to attach it to the
building.  The only thing that held it to the building were the slotted bricks.
The windows had a "lip" on either side of the window that actually fit into the
slots (on the side).  So these windows were held in place on the side of the
window, while all windows since 1957 are held in place on the top and bottom of
the window.

Gary Istok