 General / 17832
Re: Lego Commercial in Top 100 of all time
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.uk
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 11:57:48 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Nicholas Allan writes:
On the UK's Channel 4 (http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/greatest_ads/)
and through the Sunday Times newspaper (http://www.sunday-times.co.uk)
10,000 people were surveyed on what they thought was the best television
advertisement of all the last century.  The Lego advertisement of 1980 was
number 74.  A Tommy Cooper impersonator voiced this ad which showed a Lego
mouse being eaten by a Lego cat being eaten by Lego dog - in the end they
all ended up inside a Lego kipper going via an
anti-submarine-eating-fish-ballistic missile launcher. Natural progression
of course.  Naturally it ended with Tommy Cooper's catchphrase 'Just like
that'.

I saw that too. It was great to see it again after all those years. I think
that it may be the last ad I saw for LEGO on TV... perhaps I should watch more
kid's TV!

It was was interesting to see that it was presented as a building toy, whereas
these days I assume it is marketed by theme, rather than as a construction toy.
I supose in 1980 themes were only just starting - space and castle.

Scott A