 General / 17662
17661  |  17663
Subject:
Rare 1958 Dealers Windows & Door Box
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 18:18:47 GMT

I know that ordinarily this info is for lugnet.auctions, but for the
sake of educating AFOLs, I thought I would mention (and show) this.  It
seems that Mike Poindexter is selling some of his "crown jewels" on
EBAY.  The very rare European LEGO Dealers Windows & Door box (#214
1-10) that he purchased in Switzerland is shown in fine detail.  I
purchased one of these in Germany in 1979 along with a later 1961
version.  (This is what brought me out of my dark ages.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=317615519

In the early years of LEGO, only individual windows and doors were
available to the public.  Then about 1960 they started selling small
boxes of windows/doors in addition to continuing the individual sales of
these pieces.  Only around the mid-60s did TLC discontinue with
individual sales.  But the toy store owners kept selling these
individual parts long after the process was discontinued by TLC.  The
word "SALE" is not in the vocabulary of many European store owners.  you
can still find some LEGO that has been discontinued for 35 or more
years.

There are probably still a few of these boxes collecting dust in the
corner of small toy stores in continental Europe.  All you have to do is
find them!

Note: these were never for sale to the public.  Only the contents were.
Wouldn't it be nice if Lego Direct came out with something like this for
bulk sales!

Enjoy,
Gary Istok