 General / 16564
Re: status 403 Forbidden on Traffic Report
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 20:37:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:
I tried to access the Traffic page and got:
Status 403 Forbidden
and a blank white screen.
I am using a webtv+ ...I am not highly computer literate so I don't know
what this means...
Did I do something wrong?

Sorry about that.  No, you didn't do anything wrong...I did something wrong.
About a half hour ago, I updated the server's list of weeded-out user agents
(a.k.a.  crawlers and robots).  While looking at MSIE hits in the HTTP logs,
I also noticed an unusual number of hits from clients not reporting any user
agent string.  Added this and a couple other new ones to the regex filter and
retested a bunch of URLs.  Forgot that the traffic page is special from all
the others in that the server generates a faux call to itself and caches the
result as a static HTML page every five minutes.  When it does that, the user
agent is undefined, and hence the unwanted error.  For now, I relaxed the
restriction on undefined agents, and later I'll add a line to the auto-gen
script to define the agent when it invokes itself, so that it con't do that
sort of thing again if I forget again in the future.

--Todd