 General / 15803
Re: Gary's One Shell Plaza
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:24:48 GMT

Susan Hoover wrote:

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok wrote:

My 25 story ONE SHELL PLAZA
made of  1x2x2 and 1x4x3 windows has to have part of the ornamental
antenna top removed whenever it sits on the table.

Gary,

I am in awe of your buildings (pics at
<http://my.voyager.net/lar/gistok.html>).  However, I am a little
puzzled by your One Shell Plaza.  Is there another One Shell Plaza
somewhere in RL other than the one in Houston?  Our RL building doesn't
look as decorative as your LEGO version.  I like yours better.  8-)

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX

Thank you very much Susan,

My One Shell Plaza started as a 10 story building back in 1985 (and finally
got to its present appearance in 1988).  It kept growing horizontally as
well as vertically.  When I got more of those rare 1x4x5 yellow windows
(from a 1980's Town House set), and more of the very rare 1x6x5 large
yellow windows (from the 1980's Schoolroom big people set), I expanded the
width and breadth of the building.  I bought about 90 of the 517 Basic Sets
back in the 80's for the (2) 1x2x2 and (2) 1x4x3 yellow windows.  That
caused the building to get taller and taller.  I got all those 1x6 Shell
name beams, and 1x2 Shell emblems from 1970's set #149 Shell Refinery (I
bought 4 of them).  So there are no stickers on this building.

The "One Shell Plaza" name was directly copied from the original in
Houston, although I have to confess that I have yet to see a picture of the
original building.  My version is more of a 1920's Art Deco style building,
who's shape is more than coincidentally similar to the Empire State
Building in New York City.

I love Art Deco architecture.  Detroit, which is 8 miles from my house and
has some of the countrys most spectacular 1920's Art Deco office buildings
and ornate theaters, was the inspiration for my love of Art Deco designs.

Gary Istok